LARKSPUR, CO --
More than 500 Angus breeders and friends gathered at Spruce Mountain Ranch in Larkspur, CO, on Wednesday, Jan. 13, for Angus Night on the Mountain during the National Western Stock Show (NWSS). Eleven packages and one raffle item generated more than $91,400 in gross proceeds — a record for this fifth annual event — for the Angus Foundation to benefit its mission to support Angus education, youth and research, as well as two packages raising funds for the 2016 National Junior Angus Show (NJAS) in Grand Island, Neb.
“Event hosts and underwriters Tom and Lois Ames of Spruce Mountain Ranch enable the Angus Foundation to provide guests an enjoyable evening to socialize with fellow Angus breeders, purchase Angus genetics, while simultaneously raising money for Angus youth and our organization,” says Milford Jenkins, Angus Foundation president. “Without the Ames’ help and that of all of our package donors and buyers, we would not be able to raise these levels of funds that will impact the Angus Foundation’s initiatives to advance the future of our breed.”
Packages offered to benefit the Angus Foundation were:
• Advanced reproductive technology package by Trans Ova Genetics and its cloning division, ViaGen, Sioux Center, Iowa. Purchased for $3,500 by Riverbend Ranch, Idaho Falls, Idaho.
• Angus Foundation Golf Tournament Event Sponsorship at the 2016 NJAS in Grand Island, Neb., by the Angus Foundation. Purchased for $3,500 by NuTech BioSciences, Inc., Cimarron, Kan.
• Weekend package at The Greenbrier Hotel and Resort in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va., by The Greenbrier Hotel and Resort. Purchased for $3,500 by Kevin Turecek, Deer Trail, Colo.
• Exquisite cruise for two on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines by the Angus Foundation and Cotter Travel Associates. Purchased for $4,500 by Wilks Ranch, Cisco, Texas.
• Get-away package at Crazy K Ranch, Michie, Tenn., by Crazy K Ranch. Purchased for $6,000 by Teixeira Cattle Co., Pismo Beach, Calif.
• Exclusive two-night stay at the Inn on the Biltmore Estate, Asheville, N.C., by the Inn on the Biltmore Estate. Purchased for $2,750 by Cannon Ridge, Shelbyville, Tenn.
• Two options for transportation for three lots by Lathrop Livestock Transportation, Dundee, Ill. Both purchased for $5,000 each by Lylester Ranch, LLC, Martell, Neb.
• Elite Angus heifer, granddaughter of Blackbird 8809, by Whispering Pines Ranch, Scottsdale, Ariz. Purchased for $40,000 by Express Ranches, Yukon, Okla.
• One day ranch photo shoot by Legacy Livestock Imaging, Topeka, Kan. Purchased for $9,000 by Wilks Ranch, Cisco, Texas.
• Week of beach relaxation in California by Teixeira Cattle Co., Pismo Beach, Calif. Purchased for $7,000 by Crazy K Ranch, Michie, Tenn.
In addition to the packages sold on behalf of the Angus Foundation, two items were offered in support of the 2016 NJAS and host states, the Nebraska and South Dakota Angus Association. The original artwork, The Good Life, donated by artist Amanda Raithel, and the No. 1 artist proof contributed $9,500 to the upcoming NJAS. The original was purchased for $5,000 by Herbster Angus Farms, Falls City, Neb., and the No. 1 print was purchased for $4,500 by Cotton and Associates, Howell, Mich.
The evening also included several featured lots on display and up for auction from Spruce Mountain Ranch’s top Angus genetics and guest consignor Black Gold Genetics of Robinson, Ill. The National Junior Angus Board (NJAB) hosted a raffle where James Coffey of Branch View Angus, Hustonville, Ky., won a personalized engraved 12-inch (in.) x 12-in. granite paver in the new Building an Angus Legacy entrance walkway at the American Angus Association headquarters in Saint Joseph, Mo.
Assisting the Angus Foundation in event management is Larry Cotton and his team at Cotton & Associates. Those working the ring were Terry Cotton and Jay Nordhausen, Angus Journal; Alan Sears, Western Ag Reporter; Jim Gies, Western Livestock Journal; and Juston Stelzer and Delvin Heldermon.
For more information about the Angus Foundation or the event, contact Jenkins at 816-383-5100 or email@example.com.