Webinars to cover ag production, marketing
WEST LAFAYETTE, IN -- Purdue Extension will offer a series of weekly webinars in coming months to provide beginning farmers and operators of small farms with practical information on a range of agricultural production and agribusiness topics.
The webinars are free and will run noon-1 p.m. Wednesdays through April 13. An Extension specialist will lead each session, according to a release.
“Participants will learn how leading practices in production, management and marketing can help them improve profitability and sustainability,” said Roy Ballard, Extension educator in Hancock County and a member of Extension’s Small Farms Team, which is sponsoring the series.
Topics and presenters include:
• Feb. 10: “Getting the Pasture Established and Keeping it Productive;” Keith Johnson, forage specialist.
• Feb. 17: “High Tunnel Opportunities;” Liz Maynard, Extension vegetable production.
• Feb. 24: “Walk-Behind Tractors and Their Applications on Small Farms;” Michael O’Donnell, Extension educator in Delaware County.
• March 2: “Food Safety Modernization Act;” Scott Monroe, Extension food safety educator.
• March 9: “To Certify Organic Or Not? Separating the Production and Certification Issues;” Maria Marshall, small business development.
• March 16: “Foodlink: A New Tool to Link Customers with Farm Fresh Foods;” Ballard.
• March 23: “Alternative Energy Possibilities on Your Farm;” Chad Martin, renewable energy.
• March 30: “Identifying Disease and Pest Problems on the Farm;” Tom Creswell, director of the Purdue Plant and Pest Diagnostic Lab.
• April 6: “Irrigation Options for Market Gardens and Small Farms;” Lyndon Kelley, irrigation.
• April 13: “Dairy Goats 101;” Sara Dzimianski, Extension educator in Perry County.
The webinars are free, but registration is required. Each program will be recorded and available for viewing later on the Small Farms Team website at https://ag.purdue.edu/Extension/smallfarms/Pages/default.aspx.
For more information or to sign up, go to:https://purdue.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bmBrd3hIYREwlWB.